Hurling Senior


Football Senior

Under 18 Hurling Championship, 30/9/2015

St Pauls (2-18) Vs   St Joseph’s Drogheda (1-4)

St Pauls came into this game confident of a win against St Josephs of Drogheda, a team St Pauls had beaten in the past couple of seasons. With St Pauls looking to capitalise on the long journey made by the Drogheda school, captain Daragh Quinn opted to play with the strong wind in the first half, a wise decision as it proved with early long range scores coming from Quinn, Keith Cooling and Conor Keane. Aided by the wind and with some excellent defending from the likes of centre back Gavin Jackson, Sean O’Shea and Adam McCormack St Pauls took a commanding lead into the half time break of 0-9 to 0-1.

A good start was needed by St Josephs but instead it was St Pauls who picked up where they left off. A Long delivery by Daragh Quinn into the square eluded the St Joseph’s keeper and found its way into the net. There was a dispute over who got the final touch with Sean O’Shea going close to getting a flick on the ball, but Daragh was adamant that the sliothar flew directly into the net without assistance.

St Pauls pressed on and despite a far better showing from St Josephs in the second period could not gain a foothold in the game. Dylan Robinson excelled at midfield while Soren Botnaru, Anthony Conroy and Luke Magner worked tirelessly in the closing half. Sean O’Shea managed to grab his own undisputed goal and sealed the Drogheda men’s fate with a close range finish on 50 minutes. St Pauls ran out worthy winners with some great score taking from Alex Finn, Keith Cooling and Conor Keane to leave the St Pauls boys looking forward to the Dublin quarter final.

Well done to the entire team and managment on a great performance. A special mention must go to Jack Geary who despite other commitments on the day of the game togged out and played excellently.

St Pauls Team (& Scorers)

1.Conor Cafferky, 2. Sorin Botnaru, 3. Conor Keane (0-3), 4. Adam McCormack, 5. Gavin Jackson, 6. Sean O’Shea (1-0), 7. Dylan Robinson, 8. Daragh Quin (1-4), 9. Anthony Conroy (0-1), 10. Keith Cooling (0-7), 11. Jack Geary, 12. Luke Magner (0-1), 13. Alex Finn (0-2)


Under 18 Hurling Championship Quarter Final

St Pauls       Vs      Lucan CC

3-12        to        1-16

Buoyed by their comprehensive victory over St Josephs Drogheda in the last round of the Dublin Championship, St Pauls went into this quarter final confident of securing a good result. Knowing that a long away trip can unsettle teams the St Pauls boys left the school in plenty of time to get a good warm up and pre match drills done. Indeed this preparation stood the Raheny men in good stead as they raced into an early lead of 1-5 to 0-2. Excellent scores came from the enterprising Luke Magner, Alex Finn, Anthony Conway and the goal, a well taken effort after a strong run, coming from full forward Paul Pettigrew.

Lucan came more and more into the game with a slight breeze behind them but could not find that elusive goal they needed with fantastic blocks and interceptions coming from the full back line Sorin Botnaru, Jack Geary and the outstanding Gavin Jackson. Sean O’Sheaghdha’s high fielding in the half back line upset several Lucan attacks.

With Josh Rooney struggling with a back injury St Pauls had to re-juggle their line up. Alex Finn slotted in to the half back line swapping with Josh to immediate effect. Alex began to mop up a lot of ball and Josh, despite his ailment, slotted over a point quickly followed by a close range goal leaving St Pauls 7 points up at the break, 2-8 to 0-7.

Lucan set about trying to claw their way back into the game and made several changes to their line up. After exchanging points the Lucan team were rocked by another Josh Rooney goal. Lucan came more into the game with their extra subs making a huge difference. With 10 minutes to go they had cut the lead to 5 but a Keith Colling free from a difficult angle eased St Pauls nerves. Further Points from team Captain Daragh Quinn and another from Paul Pettigrew whose ball winning was a feature of his play all day, put Pauls in a commanding position. However, Lucan kept coming and managed to grab the next 6 unanswered points. With 4 minutes to go and trailing by 4 points Lucan were awarded a 21 yard free which was duly dispatched despite the best efforts of Michael Cafferkey in goal. With Lucan now in the ascendency and Pauls out on their feet with fatigue a huge response was needed. Daragh Quinn, Dylan Robinson and Kevin McDonnall grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won some decisive puck outs. Pauls lifted their efforts and with 1 minute to go Anthony Conway, after good link up play with Karl Hamilton, slotted coolly to ensure that the Raheny men would progress to the semi-final.

Well done to the team for a massive effort in the face of stiff opposition away from home. Their reward is a home draw for the Dublin Championship semi-final in the coming weeks.

St Pauls Team (& Scorers)

  1. Michael Cafferkey, 2. Soren Botnaru, 3. Gavin Jackson, 4. Sean O’Sheaghdha 6. Kevin McDonnall (0-2) 7. Josh Rooney (2-1), 8. Dylan Robinson, 9. Daragh Quin (0-1), 10. Luke Magner (0-1) 11. Keith Cooling (0-2), 12. Anthony Conway (0-3), 13. Alex Finn (0-1), 14. Paul Pettigrew (1-1), 15. Karl Hamilton


Under 18 Hurling Championship semi final

St Pauls        Vs       Rathcoole CS

3-10         to        2-10

St Paul’s senior hurlers battled their way into the Dublin hurling championship final against a dogged Rathcoole CS on a freezing day in St Anne’s. Despite having to wait 3 months for this fixture to be played due to replays and unplayable pitches, and missing some key players due to injury, St Pauls started the brighter of the two sides. Team Captain Daragh Quinn wisely chose to play with the strong breeze at his team’s backs and Pauls duly bombarded the Rathcoole goalmouth.

An early point from Sean Farrelly on the run and a brace from centre back Kevin McDonnell settled the Raheny men. Rathcoole pulled two points back before Keith Cooling pointed superbly from the left wing after an unselfish assist by Luke Magner. Paul’s aerial bombardment continued and were rewarded with a goal after a neat finish by corner forward Karl Hamilton. When Keith Colling’s powerful 21 yard free was saved in the 24th minute, target man Paul Pettigrew swept the rebound to the Rathcoole net keeping his goal a game average intact. Rathcoole responded with 3 points of their own but a great Sean O’Sheaghdha interception from a Rathcoole puck out set up Keith Cooling for his second point. Frustration began to creep in to the visitor’s game and they had a man sent off after two yellow card offences. Paul Pettigrew rounded off the first half scoring with a superb point on 28 minutes.

Rathcoole came more and more into the game with a breeze behind them and goaled on 37 minutes. An immediate pointed free from Kevin McDonnell, settled the nerves for St Pauls. The two Man Mountains Jack Geary and James Gannon began to throw themselves at every ball with the Raheny club men making some superb blocks.

Try as they might for a second green flag Rathcoole were stopped time and time again by Michael Cafferky in goal with some added help from Conor Keane at full back who made not one but two goal line clearances in the second half.

Alex Finn came more and more into the game and made some crucial clearances. When Rathcoole had a second player sent off for a straight red card offence, Dylan Robinson and Daragh Quinn began to take control of the game in the middle of the park with Kevin McDonnell sweeping in when necessary.

With Rathcoole having to re-juggle their line-up the game became disjointed. Pauls got a scrappy goal with Keith Cooling providing the finish after Trojan work from full forward Paul Pettigrew.

The west Dubliners somehow found their way back in to the game with a goal on 52 minutes from close range, however Daragh Quinn, who gave a real captains performance all day, settled nerves with a point from play, after great build up play by the tireless Anthony Conway and substitute Adam McCormack. From the next puck out Adam, again, won a crucial ball leading to an easy free for Kevin McDonnell to slot over the insurance point for the Raheny men. St Pauls will now face Scoil Reachrann in the County final.

St Pauls Team (& Scorers)

  1. Michael Cafferkey, 2. James Gannon, 3. Conor Keane, 4. Jack Geary, 5. Sean O’Sheaghdha 6. Kevin McDonnall (0-5) 7. Alex Finn, 8. Dylan Robinson, 9. Daragh Quin (0-1), 10. Luke Magner  11. Keith Cooling (1-2), 12. Sean Farrelly (0-1), 13. Anthony Conway, 14. Paul Pettigrew (1-1), 15. Karl Hamilton (1-0),  Subs; Adam McCormack for Karl Hamilton (48 minutes), Ryan O’Connor